Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Blog Post Number 8

     I believe to effectively illustrate the view of the Earth I found to be the most unique I had to include more than one picture, actually I wanted to include five pictures.  This first one was to show the example of how the flat view of the Earth map can lead to false perspectives or misinterpreted views of distances between two points.  At least for me this map led to the idea that the United States and Australia are closer than they really are, yes the Pacific Ocean that separates them still looks pretty big, but overall the two destinations do not look to be sepeaated by an inconviently enormous amount as they really are.

     The first picture from Google Earth demonstrates how the expanse of ocean separating the two places is truly more enormous than I realized.
-Picture #2
     On the bottom left you can barely see the edge of Australia and on the upper right the edge of the United states, likewise is just barely visible.  This shows me how incorrect my views of the two locations of the countries were.  The next two pictures mainly help to show the individual locations of each country.

Great circle mapper
Great Circle Results Page From LAX to Sydney International
     I was able to find a pretty cool website that allows you to look up certain airports and map a 'great circle' or the shortest distance between the two point, the first link brings you to a search page where you can get the proper code for the airport you want to search.  The second link allows you to input the codes and see a map showing the flight path, and stats about the distance. 

     This is the map that I was given and it finishes off the lesson I learned from this assignment and I now have a new view about the difference between Australia where I hope to one day visit, and America.  This great circle on the map covers a distance of 7,488 miles!

No comments:

Post a Comment